Sunday, November 30, 2008



Your piggy needs regular exercise to stay fit and healthy, if you can, let her run around a room in your house that you have made secure - cover electric cables (they love to nibble these), remove any plastic carrier bags from the floor (they love to nibble these too, and if ingested these could cause a very dangerous blockage). If they have a pen that is sited on the floor and has a door fitted as my pen does, you can just open the door and let them come and go as they please - this is what I do and I find that they never pee on my carpet, they always go back to their pen. They do deposit quite a few poops around though, but I don't mind these. If you need to put your piggy on the floor and they do not have access back to their pen / cage then you can try placing little cardboard boxes in your room, maybe under a table, with a little of their hay / soiled bedding / a few poops, to encourage them to do their poops and pee's in there, they will most likely learn to do this eventually and become reasonably litter trained.
Your piggy will love to run around and they love to explore, and she will popcorn (happy jump) and dart from under table to table to under the settee, making the happy little 'bouncy-grunting' noise they make. I always sit on the floor with some chopped celery and wait for my piggy's to come over and take it out of my hand, a great way of making friends with your piggies.

Piggies are not always the easiest things to catch to put back - I leave their pen door open and just put a fresh handful of hay in there, then I rustle it so the pigs can hear and within a minute or so they have all scampered back in to feast on the hay ! (and I quickly go over and shut their door !) However, if you cannot do this and have problems picking your piggies up then you can try either cornering them under something like a coffee table where they cannot escape as you bend down to pick them up, or place a cardboard box / front loading pet carrier on the floor in the corner with some newspaper / hay and you should find they'll go in there ok, so you can pick them up from there and put them back.

Source: Diddly

No comments: